Report – Main Statistics
- The sportswear market in the UK is worth an estimated £11.1 billion, making it the third largest market for sportswear in Europe.
- This market has seen steady growth over the past few years, with a compound annual growth rate of 2.6% between 2016 and 2021.
- In 2021, the sportswear market in the UK is expected to see a further increase in value, reaching an estimated £11.5 billion.
Sportswear Market Size (UK Statistics)
|Year||Market Size (in £ billions)||CAGR (in %)|
Sportswear Market Structure
- The sportswear market in the UK is highly competitive, with a diverse range of local and international brands vying for market share.
- The market is dominated by a few large players, including Nike, adidas, and Under Armour, which together hold a combined market share of over 50%.
- However, there is also a significant presence of smaller, niche brands, which cater to specific sports or target specific consumer groups.
- Nike is the leading brand in the UK sportswear market, with an estimated market share of 25%.
- In 2021, Nike is expected to generate sales of £2.75 billion in the UK.
- adidas is the second largest brand in the UK sportswear market, with an estimated market share of 20%.
- In 2021, adidas is expected to generate sales of £2.2 billion in the UK.
- Under Armour is the third largest brand in the UK sportswear market, with an estimated market share of 5%.
- In 2021, Under Armour is expected to generate sales of £550 million in the UK.
UK Market Share of the Top 10 SPortswear Brands
|Brand||Market Share (in %)|
Sportswear Market Trends
- One of the major trends in the UK sportswear market is the increasing demand for sustainable and eco-friendly products.
- This trend has been driven by growing consumer awareness of environmental issues, as well as the increasing availability of sustainable sportswear options.
- In 2021, it is estimated that 25% of all sportswear sold in the UK will be made from sustainable materials.
Sportswear Market Segmentation
- The sportswear market in the UK can be segmented based on product type, with the main categories being footwear, apparel, and equipment.
- Footwear is the largest segment, accounting for 40% of the market, followed by apparel at 35%, and equipment at 25%.
- Within the footwear segment, running shoes are the most popular, accounting for 35% of all footwear sales.
The UK sportswear market is expected to experience strong growth over the next five years, with a projected increase of more than 20% to reach a value of £6.68bn.
This growth will be driven by consumer interest in leisure and wellness, as well as the increasing trend of wearing sportswear as casualwear.
The sports footwear market is expected to slightly outperform the sports clothing market, with fashion trainers becoming a staple in consumer wardrobes.
Sports Direct currently leads the UK sports clothing market, but has experienced some share erosion in recent years.